Good things often happen when least expected. This year, I found nice things happening at the San Marin Garage Sale, which takes place between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday, 09/15.
Sponsored by the San Marin Improvement Association, a neighborhood volunteer organization watching out for the benefit of the San Marin area, this annual sale has been happening on the third Saturdays of September for as long as I have been a part of SMIA. The sale has become quite a festive event with neighbors holding multifamily garage sales while visiting each other and the ones in the know marking the calendar, making the trip, looking for a good find or that little treasure suited for the Antique Roadshow.
As a San Marin resident, I am proud to say that other than the 50-plus homes that are listed (many are multifamily sales) and many others that are holding their own garage sales; this year’s garage sale has a definite charitable twist to it.
Six organizations will benefit from this year’s San Marin Garage Sale:
- San Marin Jazz Choir and Jazz Band 2013 New Orleans Trip Fundraiser — students will be out selling baked goods, Coffee and Water to benefit the Jazz Band and Jazz Choir who will be travelling to the New Orleans JazzFest in April 2013. While there, they will also be doing outreach at a local school and will be performing and attending clinics. You may find them at the front of San Marin High School or out and about the neighborhood with baskets of yummy goodies. 10-1 p.m.
- Marin Humane Society — Two kind-hearted kids will have a lemonade stand at the corner of San Carlos Way and San Luis Way. Proceeds support the .
- Give N' Clothe Event (Formally Phyllis Cope Clothing Drive) — After the San Marin Garage Sale, please consider saving leftover items and donating them from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 22 to Novato locations (7th and Grant or Behind Marshall's at Vintage Oaks), benefiting clients of the Novato Human Needs Center. The Give N’ Clothe event is a ONE DAY Only event. Donations are converted into vouchers so NHNC clients can purchase clothing and household items at any Goodwill store. You can click for Give N' Clothe Flyer Front side and Flyer Backside
- Marin Volunteer League — 10 San Marin ladies donating their treasures for sale. All the proceeds will benefit the Marin Volunteer League. These nice ladies have been doing the fun and rewarding garage sale for the past few years. Thanks!
- KerrysKids — In addition to helping with the Give N’ Clothe Event, Kathy Dean will donate all proceeds of her sale to the charity KerryKids.com, a non-profit organization whose mission is to provide free health care and health education to underserved children in their neighborhoods, and to facilitate each child ultimately receiving care in a permanent medical home. Check her offerings out at 488 San Andreas Drive, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Novato School Fuel — We encourage our San Marin neighbors to donate part of sales proceed to support local public schools through Novato School Fuel, the public foundation for Novato public schools.
SAN MARIN NEIGHBORHOOD GARAGE SALE
Homes that signed up are listed on www.SanMarinGarageSale.com with many more participating on their own. There is something for everyone!
TIME: 9AM-2PM, Saturday, 09/15 (NO early birds)
LIST: www.SanMarinGarageSale.com Updated daily, deadline for submission is Friday 5:00PM.
DIRECTIONS: If you're from out of the area, take Highway 101 to San Marin Drive, go west and follow signs to the neighborhood garage sale.
PRINT the garage sale map and garage sale list from the website or pick up garage sale maps on the corners of San Marin/Simmons Lane, San Marin/San Carlos, San Marin/San Andreas, and San Marin/Novato Boulevard. First come, first serve!
JOIN San Marin Improvement Association: www.SanMarin.org,
The $15 annual dues are spent on building community relationships among neighbors through social events such as: San Marin Neighborhood Social, Easter Egg Hunt & Community Picnic, San Marin Community Garage Sales, San Marin Halloween Parade and Santa by Sleigh
Please Drive and Park Safely while Out Shopping!
Sidenote: Two Fun Fundraisers:
Craving for Live Maine Lobsters? Buy some for a nice dinner or have a party with your friends while benefiting Soroptimist International of Novato. Order lobsters by September 30 and pick up on Oct. 6. Go to Live Maine Lobster Sale for ordering information or email sylvia@SylviaBarryRE.com. While you are at the site, check out Soroptimist International of Novato.
Oktoberfest Fundraiser: Another fun event and a new fundraiser for Rotary Club of Novato Sunrise, scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 20, 5-10 p.m., at the . Promised to be a Super Fun event. Please click for Oktoberfest Flyer. I have some tickets if you are interested. email sylvia@SylviaBarryRE.com