Are you one of the property owners who likes to wait until the last minute to pay your property tax?
The deadline for payment of the first installment of the Marin County property tax bill is coming up fast. Property owners must pay their first installment by 5 p.m. Dec. 10. to avoid a stiff 10-percent penalty.
A few ways to pay the property tax:
- Pay in Person at the Marin Civic Center (see office hours below)
- By mail, postmarked on or before Dec. 10.
- Pay online with credit card or electronic funds transfer from your checking or saving accounts at www.co.marin.ca.us/paytax. There is a convenience fee for online payment. The credit card fee is an additional 2.5 percent of the charge amount. For electronic funds transfers, the fee will be $1.95 per transaction. Note: Additional processing time might be required to set this up.
- Pay by phone at 800-985-7277 with either a credit card or electronic funds transfer.
First Installment covers property tax from 07/01/2011 to 12/31/2011.
Second installment covers property tax from 01/01/2012 to 06/30/2012.
Property tax bill is sent out once a year on 9/30. Property owners who misplaced or never received their property tax bills can call the tax collectors’ office for duplicate property tax bill to be sent.
The office has a program to help those who cannot afford their tax bill. Don't hesitate to ask for advice.
Marin County Tax Collector's Office:
Office Hours: Weekdays 9AM-4:30PM (closed holidays)
Phone number: (415) 499-6133; Fax (415) 507-4011
Marin County Tax Collector
3501 Civic Center Drive, Room 202
P.O. Box 4220
San Rafael, CA 94913-4220
- Click for Tax Collector’s Office
- Click for Important Tax Dates
- Click for Online Payments
- Click for Tax Payment Late Penalty
(*) Disclaimer - The article is intended to provide general information on the subject. Readers who require specific advice should consult experts in the area of interest.