Novato firefighters extinguished a small fire Tuesday morning, caused by hot coals the owner had dumped into a garbage can.
The incident occurred in the 700 block of Arlington Circle and melted a PG&E meter, according to Captain Jeff Veliquette of the Novato Fire Protection District. The hot coals also caused a portion of the home's fence to catch on fire.
Veliquette said the owner had done the right thing, first placing the hot coals in a metal container outside and letting them cool. But apparently the resident did not wait long enough before tossing them into the garbage, causing a small fire, he said.
"We recommend keeping them outside in a metal container for about a week to give the coals time to cool off," Veliquette said.
The resident was transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation.