Novato firefighters quickly extinguished flames and sparks that erupted from the top of a chimney of a two-story house at 2136 Feliz Drive Friday night.
The small fire broke out around just before 7 p.m., and was caused by a buildup of creosote that was lining the interior of the chimney and burning, Novato Fire Battalion Chief Mark Heine said in an email. To put it out, firefighters used a special chimney nozzle, which attaches to the end of a fire hose and emits water droplets that create steam and extinguish the fire without cracking the flue or brick exterior of the chimney. The nozzle did its job, and there was no damage to the chimney or other areas of the home.
The Novato Fire District has responded to two chimney fires in the past several days, including one on Feb 6 on Cambridge Heights, and residents should take preventative measures, Heine said.
“This should serve as a reminder to homeowners to have their chimneys cleaned every year by a certified chimney sweep company,” he said.