I’m getting melancholy over this whole end-of-the-world thing. It’s getting me down. I am thinking about all the things in Novato that we’ll never see again. For instance, I’ll …
* Never get to see the highly emotional affordable housing issue come to an exciting and logical conclusion.
* Never get to see the Novato Theater open again.
* Never get to ride on a SMART train.
* Never get to see the long-shuttered building at Grant Avenue and Redwood Boulevard get knocked down and rebuilt.
* Never get to see another amazing stage performance at San Marin High or the Marin School of the Arts.
* Never get to see our young athletes whoop and holler over winning a league championship.
* Never get to see if the Novato Community Garden ever opens next to Dogbone Meadow.
* Never get to double bogey the entire back nine at Indian Valley Golf Course again.
* Never get to see whether that massive development at the Fireman’s Fund location — the Commons at Mount Burdell — ever gets built.
* Never get to see if the Square shopping center at Novato Boulevard and Wilson Avenue ever gets a much-needed extreme makeover.
* Never get to see the revised enrollment boundaries for all public schools in Novato.
* Never get to see if Rancho School will remain as a lottery-entry school or is changed to a neighborhood school without a lottery.
* Never get to take another carriage ride to see the lights at the Rombeiro Christmas House.
* Never get to see the view of the city from the top of Mount Burdell or Big Rock Ridge again.
* Never get to taste Moylan’s award-winning ales again.
* Never get to see a new Old Town office building for the city of Novato staff.
* Never get to see the Pini Plunger Brigade or Nave Patrola at the Novato Fourth of July Parade.
* Never get to see if the North Redwood Boulevard Corridor business area gets turned into something cool.
* Never get to see if a downtown statue is erected in honor of dedicated political gadfly Gail Meyers.
* Never get to see which schoolkids in town today will grow up to be the city’s movers and shakers.
What about you? What will you be bummed about not getting a chance to see or do anymore in Novato?