1. Maybe the best Valentine you could get this year is knowledge about the state of your own heart and having a plan of action if there are steps you can take to make your heart health better. Happening today, a Healthy Heart Event at Pharmaca from 1-5 p.m., 7514 Redwood Blvd, next to . Free consultations, screenings and product samples. Call 892-3700 for more information.
2. Sign up your fifth grader for the Sinaloa Music Academy each Wednesday afternoon starting at 2:45 from now through May. The organizers just had their first session last week but new students are welcome to join this week (today!). Band, Strings and Choir meet after school at Sinaloa Middle School's band room starting at 2:45 and it's all free. Band goes from 2:45-3:30 p.m., Strings from 3:30-4:15 p.m. and Choir from 4:15-5 p.m. Check out the website or e-mail your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Although donations are gladly accepted — and it may be necessary to rent an instrument — this is a great opportunity for free instrumental and/or vocal instruction for your child.
3. Does a Sunday drive out to a nearby farm sound fun? Free Sunday tours on the hour offered from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at Tara Firma Farms. Their motto is,“Know your Food is Real! Know your Farmer!” Located at 3796 I Street, Petaluma, accessible from Highway 101 and also through the back roads off Novato Boulevard. Reservations are not necessary unless you have a large group. The goats and piglets are adorable and we received some free goodies plus bought fabulous eggs and veggies. Call 707-765-1202 for more information.
4. Valentine's Day is coming up and if the cost of a fancy dinner out and hiring a babysitter feels excessive this year, try some alternatives. One year when our girls were little my husband got up early and taped about two dozen white strings to the ceiling and then fastened red paper hearts with family photos to the ends. When we woke up it was like walking in an upside-down albino kelp forest of hearts and photos. We left it up for weeks and our now 13-year old daughter — who was in first grade at the time — brought it up last weekend as the most awesome, special memory ever.
5. It's February and you still haven't found yourself exercising enough? Click here to print a free pass to the at Hamilton Landing, Hangar 3. The pass expires Feb. 28 and is for prospective, new members with a valid ID. The Novato YMCAis at 3 Hamilton Landing, Suite 140. Call 883-9622.