The Novato Fire District urges residents to have carbon monoxide (CO) alarm devices installed in their homes. The NFD Board of Directors, staff and members support awareness activities to alert our communities to the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and ways to reduce the risk factors in their homes. We urge families to inspect, protect, and detect to safeguard loved ones from the “silent killer,” carbon monoxide, also known as CO.
CO is produced by incomplete burning of fuel, such as propane, kerosene, gasoline, oil, natural gas, wood and charcoal. First, inspect all fuel fed appliances because a CO leak can be attributed to many common household sources, including; malfunctioning gas-fired appliances, wall heaters, space heaters, chimney flues and portable generators.
“Carbon monoxide is deadly. You cannot see it, smell it, or taste it," NFD Board President Jim Galli says. "You or your loved ones could be exposed to CO without even knowing it.
To protect your family and pets, install carbon monoxide alarms in your home and/or business.
Once installed in your home, the alarms detect high concentrations of this deadly gas, said NFD Fire Marshal Bill Tyler. If the CO alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors.
“Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for," Tyler said. "Call 911 from a fresh-air location and stay there until emergency personnel arrives to assist you."
The symptoms of CO poisoning include headaches, fatigue, nausea, dizziness and shortness of breath are often mistaken for the flu.
Since 2002, the Novato Fire District has responded to 56 carbon monoxide incidents. A CO alarm does not take the place of a smoke alarm. You should have both CO and smoke alarms in your home.
Purchase and install UL-Listed, California State Fire Marshal approved CO alarms near each sleeping area and on every level of the home. For more information contact us at 415-878-2690 or visit: